Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 5 Does wind have density?

Left early this morning, on the road by 8:30. The wind was crazy and strong, if not fast. We found out the wind was leftover from tornadoes that had hit North Dakota. It almost blew me of the road in the badlands. We also had to go through some nasty road repairs, with dirt covering sections in the road with pretty serious ruts. Was worried more about my husbands sport bike more than mine, but I was not liking the fact that we were in a long line of cars going over this for miles. We made it through that and stopped to get a parks pass at a ranger's station and I realized that I had lost my tank bag after the last gas fill up. Drove back 10 mile with the wind, and luckily they had it, but we had to face the headwind and crosswind again. We rode by Mt. Rushmore, but on the other side of it the wind was almost unbearable. Drove through Custer SD, and then we were heading onward, but the wind suddenly got worse than it already was. I was like a rag doll being tossed back and forth and having to push forcefully through a tremendous headwind. I had just seen a sign saying something like "road narrows, dangerous curves, no shoulder, next 8 miles". Our communicators were dead, but Micah had pulled over to take a picture of some forest fire remains in a little spot off the road. We talked about pushing on, but after he pulled out, and I stood there just trying to hold my bike upright against the wind while sitting still, I found that I couldn't move. I just didn't have it in me. We headed back to Custer and got a motel room to wait the wind out overnight. There were high wind warnings on the news, and I shot some video of the wind outside our room, although this wasn't the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment