Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 17 In and Out of Wisconsin

June 29th. We left Duluth and headed out across Wisconsin, which I think we crossed in all of 2 hours, and headed into Michigan. This area looks so much like NE Ohio except that it is disturbingly Caucasian. The sites of interest are a little different out here. We saw an old guy on a bicycle with shorts on that I might have worn in 7th grade in 1980. You remember those Nair "who wears short shorts" commercials of the 70's and 80's, well these would have put those to shame. Tried to get a pic, but didn't manage it. We ended in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan after a 340 mile ride that was very wooded and hilly. Micah had made a motel reservation the night before in order to push us to ride all the way to Manistique, but he didn't count on it being absolutely frigid outside. Now, you non-riders won't get this, but it was 50's and 60's and windy. With the tree coverage we were in the shade a lot, and it was partly cloudy. I was colder than I had been in the mountains of Big Horn, Yellowstone, or Glacier, because in those areas when you headed back down it got warmer. We were already down and it was just cold. When we would stop the sun would warm us back up again, but I would usually have at least one white if not blue fingernail at each warm up break. We made it to Manistique, and we pushed through the last 54 miles with the setting sun and cooling air at a higher speed in order to get there quickly, but I was like a Popsicle when we arrived. I realized about 10 miles from our destination that I couldn't uncurl my left hand. I had forgotten to keep it moving. It warmed up quickly and despite the late hour (about 9:30) we were able to get some dinner, and we were literally on the shores of Lake Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment