Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 18 The Last Full Day

June 30th. We left Manistique and headed out for Bay City which was our destination of the day, which is north of Saginaw, MI. The ride was fairly windy at first, more than a little uncomfortable, but as we moved away from the water it got better. The biggest obstacle was crossing the Mackinac Bridge, which is very long and high off the water. Normally it begins with two concrete lanes and then in the middle it switches to an interior steel grate lane and an exterior concrete lane. Noticed I said normally, can you see where this is going? There was construction on the concrete lane, so on a nice windy day, over the crossing point of Lake Michigan, about 200 feet over the water, I got to ride my lightweight bike with knobby tires over a lane that causes me to track like crazy. Luckily there was a big slow truck and everyone was going about 20 miles an hour, because my bike was all over that lane. I was trying to relax, but it was just impossible, and this bridge is long. I made it though. Micah on his sport bike with sport tires, did fine of course, although he did feel the effects of the wind. Luckily the rest of the ride was calm and cool (not cold), and I am just enjoying our last full day of our vacation. We stayed at the Euclid Hotel after driving all over Bay City trying to find something downtown, but all the downtown hotels were truly dives.

No comments:

Post a Comment