Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 16 Duluth



June 28th. Last night in the tent, I woke up to the sound of rustling plastic, unzipped the tent and saw nothing. It happened again later, and I was much faster, and looked out, saw an animal and was about to shoo it away when I realized it was a skunk looking at me from a distance of about 3 feet (from my face). I let out a quick "oh my god" and zipped the tent shut and hid my head in my sleeping bag. Micah asked me what was up, and I whispered that there was a skunk outside. We both laid there as still and quiet as we could. That could have been very bad.

Took the day off from riding and hung around the campsite. This campground has such potential and if you people are reading this pay attention. The location is great, but they get $28 for a tent site ( which is more than a freakin' KOA) and they have pay showers. The bathrooms were not well kept up and were dirty. They had some flooding but the flooding was over, and someone needed to spend some time cleaning it up. At least prop the door open so it can dry out. We paid for a site without water, because to get water you needed to be at one of the RV sites, away from the bay. That was fine, but the only way to get water was in the bathroom or the laundry. There was no spigot outside. There was also no indicated dishwashing area, and the only utility sink was in the laundry, and I wasn't going to wash my dishes where people clean their clothes. They just seemed terribly unorganized.

Now the positive. The sites were large and relatively private, especially compared to some we have had on the trip and the campground is waterside, along a bay. We did use our day to visit Aerostich which is made in Duluth, they do have a tiny storefront there, and we noticed that a lot of the local riders wear their product. I spent most of the afternoon just gathering dry wood for kindling for a great fire to cook our Nathan's hot dogs on tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment